Daffodil

Fifty Shades of Grey
E.L. James
Midnight Enchantment
Anya Bast
Blameless - Gail Carriger Carriger's unique sense of humor shines throughout the book and kept me up reading long past midnight. Alexia's search for answers to the "infant-inconvenience" is the main focus of the story and it quickly becomes a scramble to stay ahead of vampire drones and attacking ladybugs. My only real problem is while I know Carriger's work edges into the steam-punk arena, certain scientific explanations gave me a headache while figuring out the meaning behind them. I know realistically scientists and inventors would talk to each other in exactly those terms, but I still feel that Carriger could have found a way to better integrate these conversations into the storyline. Thankfully, there were only a few spots where I had to deal with these. My response to Conall's behavior is below for those who do not wish to be spoiled. Overall, I enjoyed the read and Carriger's books are still on my must-buy list.

Spoiler Space

Conall's behavior. Tsk, sigh. While not exactly spot on, I don't think it was entirely out of keeping with his character either. He's impulsive (werewolf you know) and proud, so his first reaction to Alexia's pregnancy is outrageous but not unbelievable. Ideally, he would have realized his mistake before Alexia took two steps out the door, groveled and resolved the entire issue with a long night behind closed doors. I do agree with Professor Lyall, Conall knew early on that he was wrong. But . . . did I mention he's proud? Rather than deal with the real issue, he got drunk and stayed drunk, most likely thinking Alexia would still be there when he worked up the nerve to see her. Even drunk, he managed to send someone to protect and watch over her. When they finally see each other again, did anyone really believe he would admit to his mistake without a great deal of coercion? I know I've mentioned he's a proud werewolf already. In a typical Conall manner, he greets her as if everything is normal. Well, normal for someone being chased by homicidal drones and ladybugs, kidnapping Templars and vivisection-happy mad scientists. He's published a very public apology after all. LOL. As for Alexia, she understands her husbands mindset very well and relief over knowing her husband believes in her takes precedence over making him pay. Very practical and English.