Daffodil

Fifty Shades of Grey
E.L. James
Midnight Enchantment
Anya Bast
Black Wings - Christina Henry 3.5 stars. I'm feeling nice, so I'll round up to 4. ;)

There's lots to like here. Interesting mythology, diverse creatures/races, a good strong cast of characters and lots of action that moves the plot forward. There was a point in the middle where I was concerned about the author's intentions, but I went with it and while the outcome of the "flashbacks" was a little predictable, it still worked out well. I can see lots of potential in this and will definitely be on the lookout for the next book.

One of the main things that kept this from being a 4 star book was Maddy herself. She's written as a strong character, however for someone who managed to survive on her own since the death of her mother, Maddy makes some pretty uninformed decisions. Smart talk can be an amusing survival skill, but using it all the time can get you in a lot of trouble. Maddy walks into the court of creatures she never even knew existed. She knows nothing of their customs, rules or even their potential magical ability and strength. A reasonably intelligent person would learn as much as possible and stay on guard. Yet, she still feels free to say whatever comes into her head without first considering who or what she might offend. I can also understand the personality conflict with her boss. Lots of people have personaility conflicts with co-workers and bosses. Its a fact of life that not everyone will get along. But part of being a grown up and living in the grown up world is dealing with these issues and showing respect to your superiors in the work place. Again this is something I think Maddy would have learned by now, instead her behavior around JB seems a little juvenile at times.