Daffodil

Fifty Shades of Grey
E.L. James
Midnight Enchantment
Anya Bast
An Artificial Night - Seanan McGuire I thought Rosemary and Rue and A Local Habitation were a wonderful introduction to McGuire's fascinating universe and I especially enjoyed the cross between Urban Fantasy & Mystery, so I was really looking forward to this book. I feel slightly let down and not because the mystery element was gone. We know almost from the start who is responsible for the missing children and this book is all about October's mission to return them to their parents. Something else was off for me and even though the action was pretty constant, there were a few times I found myself silently urging Toby to just get on with it already and finish the job.

Toby also seemed to be alone for much of the mission. She kept jumping in and out of conversations/interactions with Lily, the Luidaeg, Quentin, Luna, Connor, May and Tybalt (I missed him the most), but for the most part this was a solitary journey for Toby. Maybe that's the reality of some PI's investigations, however it didn't really work for me in this book. Tybalt's few appearances seemed to be more of a setup for future events in the series and I wish he'd had more impact on this plot.

There were a few bright moments that I really enjoyed. May, Toby's fetch and personal omen of death, is an interesting (and funny) addition to the cast and I look forward to more from her in the future. The chase scene through the hills of San Francisco was hysterical and I wanted to go back and reread that bit almost as soon as I finished it.

Looking back at my review, it may not sound as if I didn't enjoy An Artificial Night and that's not the case at all. Overall, I liked the book. The problem is I fully expected to love it and just couldn't.