Daffodil

Fifty Shades of Grey
E.L. James
Midnight Enchantment
Anya Bast
Dark Currents: Agent of Hel - Jacqueline Carey I love Jacqueline Carey's writing. Her Kushiel's Legacy series is lush, dark and intense. The Sundering Duology blurs the distinction between good & evil and is intense in a different way. I was interested to see what Carey could do with a modern Urban Fantasy and while Dark Currents was very entertaining and I thoroughly enjoyed the read, I missed that intensity of emotion.

Daisy, daughter of a lesser demon, is an interesting character. Her human mother loves her, regardless of her heritage and ability to potentially spark Armageddon. Pemkowet, Michigan is a pretty postcard of a town with a healthy tourism trade. It's also home to werewolves, vampires, ghouls, fairies and undines, all subject to the Norse Goddess Hel. Some of the members of the eldritch community may seem typical to the genre, but Carey manages to give each of them voice & personality. I'm particularly intrigued by the ghouls, created when both Heaven and Hell rejected them, and hope to see more of Stefan in future books.

Overall, this was a light, fun read and I'll definitely be looking for book 2.