Daffodil

E.L. James
Midnight Enchantment
Anya Bast
Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet - Darynda Jones 4.5 stars

Prior to even starting the book, I commented on how Charley uses humor as a coping mechanism in even extremely serious moments, so the following quote from page 99 really jumped out at me when I came across it.
"She chuckled and I was glad I could help her sprinkle a little humor onto an otherwise horrific situation. It always helped me cope. Life was too short to be taken seriously."
I think this sums up Charley's attitude quite well. As the Grim Reaper, Charley has had an intimate knowledge of death since the moment of her birth. Even when things are at their worst, she is quite willing to wield humor as a weapon. She can come across as irreverent ... well she is irreverent on the surface. But, when it comes right down to it, Charley can be counted on to fight for what she believes is right.

Charley has recovered physically from the traumatic events at the end of book 3 her torture at the hands of Earl, but hasn't been able to leave her apartment in the couple months since her release from the hospital. However, when a new client in desperate need of help comes to her, she doesn't let that stop her from doing the right thing. Between investigating leads, tracking down Reyes, confronting her father, fighting demons and solving a string of bank robberies, Charley begins to face her own problems and her strong personality quickly reasserts itself.

Definitely worth the read.